Apply for green card?

Print anything with Printful

To apply for a US Permanent Resident Card, or green card, you must meet USCIS requirements and submit forms, documents, and fees. Consult an immigration professional for assistance.

The process of applying for a US Permanent Resident Card, commonly referred to as a green card, boils down to submitting the appropriate forms and documents, and submitting the appropriate fees. Before any forms can be submitted, an immigrant who wishes to apply for a green card must ensure that they meet certain requirements set forth by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Every case is different, so it’s best to consult an immigration professional at your local US immigration office or US consulate.

Once you are certain that you meet all of the USCIS immigration requirements, you must begin by filing an application to register for permanent residency or regular status (Form I-485). Applications are subject to an application fee and a separate biometric fee. You may also be subject to additional fees, so be sure to read all related documents to ensure you are sending the appropriate funds. Two color photos of the applicant must be submitted with I-485. These photographs are subject to specifications and should be taken by someone familiar with these regulations.

A medical exam sheet (Form I-693) may also be required to apply for a green card. It should be noted that Form I-693 is not required for those applying based on continued stay since January 1972 or those who have had a medical exam based on a fiance visa. Applicants between the ages of 17 and 79 will also need to submit a biographical card (Form G-325A). You will also need to present an Arrival and Departure Report (Form I-94), which should have been issued to you by the USCIS office upon arrival in the United States.

You may also need to file a supporting affidavit (Form I-864). This form must be completed by the sponsoring family member of the foreign national seeking to apply for a green card. The affidavit of support may not apply to you if you are filing an employment-based return. If you are looking for work while submitting, you must submit an Employment Authorization Form (I-765).

You may also be eligible to apply for a green card if you are an asylum or refugee, or if you are a Cuban citizen. Those who are admitted to the United States as the fiancé of an American citizen may also be admitted. This is also true if your spouse became a resident after your marriage or if your parents became residents of the United States after your birth.

To apply for a Green Card as an asylum or refugee, you must present a copy of I-94 showing the date you were granted asylum and a Human Services Statistics Form (I-643). Cuban citizens must file I-485 and present proof of Cuban citizenship or nationality. Those admitted as engaged and married within 90 days must submit a copy of the approval notice and marriage certificate.
If your parents became residents after your birth, you must present proof that your parents have or will receive residency. You must also present a birth certificate and proof of kinship with your parents. A person whose spouse has become a resident after marriage must provide proof that the resident spouse has been granted residency. You must also submit your marriage certificate and prove that any previous marriages have been legally terminated.

The process of applying for a green card can get complicated, so again, it’s best to contact an immigration professional. This professional will be able to help you locate and file the appropriate forms and fees that may be specific to your case. They will also be able to help you if you have any further questions.

Protect your devices with Threat Protection by NordVPN

Skip to content